Sunday, August 5, 2007

Amma's Tour (Seattle - Day 2,3,4)

Please click the links to your right for completed posts from other cities...

The next morning offers a rare treat, that is, sleeping in! On the first day of each retreat there is no lunch to prepare, so the kitchen staff usually doesn't spring into action until dinner prep, which starts at about 1 PM. The fair grounds, where the retreat and Devi Bhava are being held, are very close, about 5 minutes by car, from this devotee's house. The house is actually quite nice, however, most of the staff will relocate (yes, it is a reoccurring theme on tour, even though it appears that the first 4 days of programs are in "Seattle") to different sleeping accommodations that are on site at the fair grounds. After this rare leisurely morning passes, I round up the gang and drive us over. The local satsang prepared lunch for the staff, so I grab a bite to eat before finding my cot. The new sleeping accommodations are located just above the program hall, in one large room that has 2 areas separated out for sleeping, one for boys and one for girls, by portable "walls" that are made of thin black curtains. I'm a bad judge of these things, but I'd say there are maybe about 60 or so cots in the boys "room".

Downstairs we have the program hall, and uniquely, the kitchen is at one far end of this large room. This is unique in that we get to chop veggies right in the energy of the morning program, which includes meditation, Darshan, and devotional music sung by the Swamis. It is also unique in that Swami asks us to take our noisy chopping outside during meditation, because apparently, we make too much of a ruckus during this quiet time!

We set up veggie prep in the space just adjacent to the kitchen (trucks, pallets, you know the drill). The dining area is in the space just beyond veggie prep. Finally, the dining area is separated from the program hall, located completely at the other end of this large area, by a wall made of cubicle like dividers that stretches almost all the way from one end of the space to the other, leaving a gap on either side for foot traffic to flow between the dining and program halls.


This photo (above) features Niramayan and his wife Atulita, both Brazilian. They are truly sweet and divine souls. Niramayan is one of our main cooks for the Indian meals. Atulita, as mentioned, is one of our veggie prep supervisors. However, this year Atulita is being called away, much to our sadness, to Brazil to help organize Amma's first visit to that country. For this reason we have her only in the Seattle area and very little in San Ramon before she flies out to make preparations in Brazil. Atulita is one of my favorite people on this tour, and well liked by many of us, so there is sadness to let her go, and yet a deep reverence for her being called away to such a powerful seva. Thank you for all the heart felt talks steeped in presence!


The photo above shows Atulita mixing the dairy for the raita. This photo also shows the veggie prep area as set up at the fairgrounds. As you look at the photo, the kitchen is located just behind you, and just beyond veggie prep in front and to the left of you is the dining area.

Much like the first day of public programs in Seattle, this retreat drew a small crowd, relative of course to what Amma draws in some of the other cities. Veggie prep, for the most part, is a smooth operation in that no major mishaps occur. However, it is intensive in that we have to stay focused and very present to keep it that way! This includes checking recipes, making sure the right veggies are being brought to us, and cut in the right order (based on what the cooks use first), instructing and supervising sevites, and generally making sure things flow at a fast yet manageable pace. For the duration of this retreat, we are here and on top of things from early in the morning right up to when dinner service starts at 6 PM, taking turns on a short break for lunch.

I'm one of those people that tends to hide in the shadows a little too much, so Seattle is very good for me. I find myself having to be on the front lines supervising and managing people, and balancing what needs to get done with taking the time to be kind and attentive to our sevites, and at the same time, getting to know the people who will be traveling with us.

Veggie prep received some extra staff members this year on the world ticket from Europe, and, it turns out, some of them can either barely speak English or not at all! I find myself reaching the deep recesses of my mind for even a little Spanish. I took it for 4 years in high school, and was quite good at it then, but high school was a long long time ago. As for the French, I couldn't speak a lick of French to save my life. Meanwhile, German is flying left and right between Prana and the German boys, whom we affectionately call the Pumas. (I'll have to explain this Puma thing later). I did live in Austria for 6 months, but, sadly, the German is long gone. The whole scene is quite touching, seeing all of us come together to serve and to really make the best of it. I'm also enjoying the European flavor or working, which still gets things done, but in a much more playful, teasing, and sarcastic way. A little silliness makes for a sweeter day.

While it is easy to get lost in organizational detail, small talk with the person next to me, or the usual stream of endless thought in my own mind, there are indeed moments of sublime clarity about what is really happening here. To describe it in one word, it is Love. To try to describe it at all, would be like, as Amma affectionately says, "trying to fold up the sky and put it under your armpit." One just has to experience it, the flow of Love and Bliss and deep heart felt appreciation one experiences for being able to contribute to and be a part of this organization. I can actually and tangibly feel my part in this movement of deep and profound social and spiritual change on the planet, and at the same time, this very movement, or current of divinity, cleanses the root of my soul as it moves through me.

While we are getting the best spiritual cleansing the universe has on tap, physical cleansing is a little harder to come by, in that the showers are about a 10 minute walk from the program hall. To make matters worse, I left my towel behind at the first devotee's house I stayed at. Doh! Not a problem when I was able to borrow one at the other devotee's house, but now, its a problem. Luckily I confide my little dilemma to Prana, who is quick with a little tour advice, pointing me to those little blue kitchen towels that I can borrow. (If you've been on tour, or helped in the kitchen you probably know which "towels" I'm talking about. If not, I'll spare you the details.) This advice of course comes complete with a little story about similar dilemmas in India and/or Europe, which somehow makes everything OK. The showers are actually quite clean, and the walk is relaxing. Finding the time for this little adventure proves to be the biggest obstacle.

After staying one nite in the upstairs room, a small band of us relocate to a devotee's house for better accommodations (and closer showers to bed) because, after all, we do have that van that fell in our lap. After chanting a silent archana, we leave during the early part of the evening Darshan. While on tour, I decided I will have to let go of some of my spiritual practices, including the archana, to make room for all the seva, satsang, bhajans, and sleep, but already Prana is teaching me the art of fitting it all in. By Amma's grace I'm sure, there is plenty more tour advice to come!

Devi Bhava comes rather quickly. At this point in the tour, I find myself sleeping (in the upstairs room) through Devi Puja and the beginning of Devi Bhava, and waking up a little later to catch the last call for dinner sometime around 10 or 11 PM. Packing the kitchen starts at midnite, however, this has somehow become somebody else's responsibility, so I enjoy several hours of Devi Bhava before going back up to sleep for a few hours.

I set my alarm for 6 AM so I can wake up semi refreshed to catch the usually brilliant morning of Devi Bhava. However, I am roused from sleep before, hearing that Amma has called all staff for Darshan. Sweet! As I make my way to go down, shaking of the last remnants of a deep sleep, it dawns on me that the sounds reverberating from the hall downstairs are not bhajans at all, but the archana! Amma requested that Swamiji chant the 108 names followed by the 1000 names at 5 AM at every Devi Bhava, and it is all happening right now. With divine names saturating the atmosphere, I enter Darshan line and eventually melt into the arms of God. The morning of Devi Bhava is, as usual, brilliant. The Swamis fill the air with bhajans, steeping all of us who remain in devotion, reflecting Amma's divine nature in song and music. Devi has, once again, conquered all the darkness, and we welcome the dawn, not just the dawning of a new day, but the dawning of spiritual awakening within the soul. I've seen it many times, and I pray for the grace to see it may more times, for I never tire of the victorious Devi at the end of Devi Bhava.

I'm in for some more tour advice as Devi makes her way to the front of the stage to shower her devotees with flower petals. Following Pranaji, I somehow end up kneeling right in front of Devi as she stands there at the end of the flower shower, lovingly looking at her devotees. What sankalpas are flying through the air only Devi knows! Amma Amma Taye, Devi in full regalia, and kneeling on a carpet of flower petals, these are some of my favorite things!

Devi Bhava concludes, and lo and behold, Devi's sleepless army springs into action after Amma leaves the hall. For me, this means simply gathering my stuff and finding the local devotee who'll be driving me to the airport. While this proves a challenge, eventually he materializes, and takes a few of us on our way. There is actually a plan B, and a local devotee is here with us to make sure we are taken care of, so once again, putting my trust in the organization is proving fruitful. In the mean time, there is a full on clean up and break down operation happening, which continues as we drive off to catch our flights.

On the way to the airport, I hear quite the interesting story of someone once asking Amma if there was an advanced course one can take in spirituality. According to the person telling the story, Her reply was "kitchen staff." Very humbling indeed, and it echoes the words of Neem Karoli Baba, who, when answering a devotee asking how to know God, said serve people and feed people.

Back in the usual world, at the airport, after dealing with the ticket and baggage check, I pour out all my liquids, drink my water, head through security and find my gate. There, I am in for quite a treat, when I reach for my archana book and start chanting the 1000 names. It flows so easily, right from the heart, and right to Devi, who is standing so clearly in front of me in my mind's eye, looking as splendid as she did on stage just a few hours earlier. I can smell the flower petals, and taste the sweetness of her presence. I can literally feel etheric flower petals all around the space where I chant the names, and the air has a different quality. Makes one wonder, can the devotees bring that sweetness back out into the world and make a difference? I think so!

In San Jose, I meet up with my good friend Mary, who picks me up at the airport. She has never seen Amma, so explaining all this is a little difficult, besides, we have some personal stuff to work out that came up just at the beginning of tour involving my family. She drops me off to say hello to my parents, and I meet up with Mary later, who kindly does my tour laundry (thanks Mary!) and leaves me alone at her house while she runs off to do some things with her daughter. The plan is for me to take a nap. Just before leaving for tour, however, I let Mary borrow my main altar picture of Amma, telling her that with it she can tune into Amma, the tour, and the adventures I am having. So there She is, a beautiful picture of Amma, the very one I meditate in front of for over a year now, that came on tour with me on 2 occasions. Oh, forget the nap, I just can't help myself and scour Mary's house for matches to light the altar candle, and plop down in front of Devi, flower petals from Seattle and candle in hand invoking her presence, and reaching for the archana book. Oh God, does this happen to the other devotees? Archana is so sweet. Oh, Ma!

So, with that, sleep is thwarted, but the heart is in Bliss. Mary comes home and we spend a quiet remainder of the afternoon over tea (from a Taoist mountain we visited several months earlier in China, but that is another story) and a light dinner. Mary then drives me up to the San Ramon ashram, devotional music playing, and making talk about life, Amma, and such things. When we arrive, the place looks deserted. I show Mary around in the failing light, and eventually lead her up to the main house, where we bump into Jani, our very dedicated travel coordinator. Jani says, quickly run to Ron's house, Amma is serving dinner up there! Well, that explains why the place is deserted. We pick up 2 other devotees Amma bound and trot down the hill to Mary's car, and make our way to Amma.

At Ron's house, we find Amma in her white clothes passing out plates of food, looking very simple and quite human on this occasion. It was just hours ago that I saw her as Devi in Seattle, now here we are in San Ramon, sitting on the grass watching Devi in Amma Bhava, looking very relaxed, making sure every devotee that wants a plate receives one. Quite auspiciously, this is Mary's first time meeting Amma, and my first time ever having dinner with Her up at the house, even though I had been a devotee for many years. I guess, some people have all the luck!

OK, it is dark, and time to say goodbye to Mary, work out my sleeping arrangements, and turn in for the nite. Veggie prep starts at 7 AM, and setup will need to be done first.

More later...

Please click the links to your right for completed posts from other cities...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a great discription of what goes on behind the scenes on one of Amma's tours.I have known Amma since 1997 and have never seen such a complete accounting of what a devotee goes thru during his or her's seva during tour.Tom's love for Amma is in every sentence and photo.
dinanath
S.F. Bay area